Friday, March 2, 2012

Should I Stay, or Go?

On February 22 around 4pm one of my friends sent me a message asking how I was feeling. This was my reply to her... "I'm feeling really good. Swelling hurts. I'm having contractions off and on and have a lot of butt and vagina pressure. 
I don't feel like labor is close."


By 8pm the contractions were coming in about 12 minutes apart. I had already taken a shower so I decided to go for a walk with my son to see if anything would change. No change. I ended up going to bed and just keeping track of the contractions. By 10pm they were 7 minutes apart. I called B to give her a heads up that I may be heading in to labor and delivery and called the doctors office to see what they thought I should do.

At 10:30pm we loaded up and headed to the hospital. When we got there we were met by the office midwife, L. I was checked (4cm's) and hooked up to monitors. The contractions got closer together, about 5 minutes apart.
L talked about letting me go home to labor on my own. Although it may seem odd to some people, it's one of the many things I love about the practice we found. They are very supportive of women being in control of their bodies.
Before making a decision about going home L checked to see if there were any changes. Yep! 5cm's! It was midnight and we were being admitted.

Casey went home to be with the kids and I was moved to a labor and delivery room. Contractions were steady all night but outside of going from 85% effaced to 100% effaced, my cervix stayed the same.
B and C drove straight through and ended up making it to the hospital a little after 5am. I got up and walked around a bit and the three of us ended up taking a little nap.

Dr C came in about 8am and broke my water. Still 5cm's and 100% effaced. I was excited to see that I could make progress without pitocin! The contractions were painful and I could tell they were doing their job. Around 9:30am we were at 7.5 cm's!

C was still sleeping through the fun but B was there keeping me company. I had my headphones on and tried listening to my music to keep my mind off the contractions. It worked until someone like Madonna or Alanis came on. :)

Around 10am Dr C came in and checked me again. I told her I felt like I needed to push but when she checked I was only 9cm's. She waited until I had a contraction and could feel that my cervix changed to 10 cm's when I pushed. So off to the operating room we went (standard practice when delivering twins).
B got her scrubs on and followed us to the OR. C waited back in the room. I was moved from my somewhat comfy bed to a itty bitty cot. I kept thinking what on earth am I going to hold on to when it comes time to push? There were no bars. Nothing. Thank goodness there were a handful of nurses in there to offer me hands to hold.

I started pushing a little after 10am. I pushed with all my might but Hudson wasn't budging. I could tell that with every push Dr C was having to help guide her, or move things... it's hard to explain. It was after a few pushes that Dr C asked if I wanted a catheter. I took it, hoping it would help. A few pushes later and Hudson was born, a tiny 6lbs 3oz and 20.5 inches long and perfect!

I remember looking over at B and I could tell she had already fallen in love! It was the sweetest thing ever. I can't tell you how much of a blessing it was to have B in the room with me. She was so amazing and supportive the entire time. I can remember early conversations we would have about her "watching" and how weird it would be. None of that mattered. She was just so wonderful and I couldn't have done it without her.

Of course things didn't end here...


1 comment:

  1. You can't leave me hanging! Where is the rest of the story?

    ReplyDelete