Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hospital Recovery

I had to spend just under one hour in the recovery room. It wasn't too bad but I was ready to get to my own room and start my real recovery. I was also ready to see B, C, and the girls. I didn't even meet Macy-Dean when she was born.
I had learned while waiting that they were not given a room either and were hanging out in the delivery room. I invited them to come and stay with me in mine. 

I was given a room close to the nursery. I could tell by the sound of things outside my door that it was a busy day in labor and delivery.
The nurses gave me medication to help calm my stomach, my first dose of "every 6 hour" Motrin, and antibiotics. I felt and looked puffy from all the extra fluid and my stomach was still turning causing me to throw up... but I felt great! I didn't even mind that I still had the catheter in. 

Shortly after getting settled in B, C, and the girls came in. What a sight to see! The love on their faces as they interacted with the girls and each other was the most rewarding sight I have ever seen. It made every bit of the struggles, pains, and not so perfect labor worth it. I couldn't have been more proud to be a part of something so amazing.
Casey showed up a while later. I was so happy to see him but the visit didn't last long... the medication I was given had made me drowsy and I couldn't keep my eyes open to save my life.
Because L&D was so busy there wasn't enough room for B and C to stay. I told them they could stay with me in the room but they insisted on getting a hotel room, so everyone could get some rest. I felt so bad with them having to leave. I can't imagine it was easy for B. 

The coolest part about my recovery in the hospital was spending it with B and C and the girls instead of just being there alone. They spent a lot of time hanging out with me in my room. I got to learn more about them and discovered a different side of C that I had no idea existed. He was amazing! They let me help with the girls and I got to hold them both for long periods of time. Something I never imagined being able to do.
I really enjoyed watching them "become parents". They were both so wonderful at it! Such naturals. They were also really really funny! I wish I could put into words and recreate the first diaper changes :) and swaddles!
I tried to offer support and advice the best I could, without being a know-it-all. I even tried helping B with breastfeeding... which I might add... it isn't an easy task nursing twins!! I'm still in awe of what an amazing job she did with it!

I'm so thankful that B and C allowed me to share those two days with them and the girls. They made me feel like I was so much more than just a surrogate.

My recovery was pretty easy overall. It took a little getting used to not being able to move like normal. I was never in any real pain but it was uncomfortable trying to get up and down off of the bed. Of course having to lug around a urine collection bag made things that much more difficult. For some reason my urine was really concentrated and no matter how much I had to drink I couldn't produce enough urine for them to be okay with taking the catheter out.
I didn't take anything other than Motrin for pain. I never felt like the pain was so unbearable that I needed something stronger. I did accept some milk of magnesia the 2nd night when the bloating and gas pains were unbearable and was so happy I did. The next day I felt much better.

The only other part of recovery that was hard was the swelling. I think I expected it to get much better after delivery but instead it got worse and was so uncomfortable.

I was so excited when midwife L and Dr C showed up and confirmed I only had to stay two nights! I was also thrilled when Casey brought Joelie up to visit me. I missed her like crazy. We took her to the gift shop and she helped pick out gifts for the girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment