Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Going Home...

I remember "going home day" times five. It's that day that you have looked forward to and waited on, for what seems like forever. It is finally here but everything is moving in slow motion. You have to wait on the doctor, and the nurses. You have to wait on final tests and discharge papers. One person can't do their job until the first person completes theirs. It's the most frustrating day of hospital stays.

I felt so bad for B and C that last day. I know B was ready to get her girls home and in their own environment. They also had a really long drive in front of them. Sadly, they were subject to the "going home day" run around too. There were last minute tests that had to be ran on the girls and doctors that were being waited on to sign discharge papers. All in all in didn't take too long... but I bet it seemed like forever to B and C.

I enjoyed spending the morning with B,C, and the girls. It was so fun watching them get the girls dressed and ready to go home. I felt so much joy and excitement for all of them!

It really didn't take too long for them to get discharged. The girls were strapped into their car seats and ready to go in no time! We said our goodbyes and they were off!

I was due to be discharged the same day. I sent midwife L a text that morning making sure she didn't forget about me. I knew it would happen eventually and didn't mind the wait. After B and C left with the girls I showered and got my stuff ready. I had some time to reflect on everything that happened in the last 10 months and was amazed at how far we had come.
I spent a good 30 minutes or so talking to the discharge nurse. She asked questions about the pregnancy, my relationship with B and C, and our journey. She said we were the talk of the nurses station that they had never had a surrogate and intended parents "hang out" the way we had. I told her there was nothing "typical" about any of this for us! The whole situation was unique from the very beginning.

I was so excited to walk out those hospital doors and go home with my family.

I have been asked 100 or more times if it was hard letting the girls go. It wasn't. I know people have a hard time understanding or believing that, but really... it wasn't. I knew from the beginning that they were not mine. What was difficult for me was saying goodbye to B and C. We came along way together from that first phone conversation we had. I grew to love and care about both of them, as well as B's family. I was honored that they picked me to carry their girls and so thankful for all that they had done for me... including spending those last two days with me.
It was so hard for me to fight back the tears as I hugged them goodbye. I thought about the delivery and how amazing B was, how helpful and wonderful she had been. I thought about how I got to know C and how funny and sweet he was, and how he shared the girls with me. And, I thought about B's dad and how I loved the letters he sent with the checks he mailed to me. This family had touched my heart in more ways than one and have changed my life forever. Saying goodbye to all of them, was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do...




No comments:

Post a Comment