Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Emergency Trip to the Fertility Clinic

Last night was scary for me. I stayed up late getting some clothes sorted and organized for a consignment shop that I'm doing in August. I started having cramps and pains in my lower abdomen and back. I decided to go to bed but before I could get settled I felt a gush of liquid and started bleeding. The bright red blood and cramps really scared me. I called Dr C and told her what was happening and asked what she wanted me to do. She told me to just go to bed and that she would call the fertility center here and get me in first thing in the morning.
I couldn't sleep. I couldn't get comfortable and my mind was racing. I just kept thinking about how unfair this would be for B and C and how I didn't want to call and tell her this was happening. She's suppose to be here in a few days for our first ultrasound and now everything was turned upside down.
I did end up sending her a text letting her know. I knew her phone would be off and hated the thought of that being the first thing she saw when she turned her phone on in the morning, but I had to tell her.
I got up this morning and the cramping had settled a bit but the bleeding was still there. I got a call from Dr C's office saying my appointment was at 10:15. Thank goodness I didn't have to wait too long to go. The waiting was killing me.
When I got up on the table I said a few silent prayers. Dr K came in and started the ultrasound. I couldn't make out anything right away but it didn't take long for me to see the flutters of a tiny heartbeat! He took measurements and they were spot on, 7 weeks. Heart rate was 136.  As he is moving things around I asked, "Just one?" He looks at me and says... "In sac number two"... Yep, 2nd baby had a perfect 137 heart rate and measured 6 weeks 6 days.
Both babies are perfectly fine. The bleeding is coming from a blood clot in the middle of the two sacs. Dr K said it's like a bruise and should correct itself over time. The only advice... no sex or nipple stimulation and followup with Dr C.
I kept constant communication with B through the visit and was thrilled to give her the good news. I'm so relieved that everything is okay and hope that this darn blood clot dissolves (or whatever it's suppose to do) soon!

TWINS! :) 

3 comments:

  1. My daughter had a blood clot (not twins), it did resolve itself and after a few weeks could resume normal (ALL) activities.

    I now have a healthy 6 week old grand-daughter, Leah!

    So glad to hear that the babies are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everything is ok! That is a scary feeling. And Twins! OMG! Congrats to everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness everything is okay, and yeah for twins!

    ReplyDelete