Thursday, July 14, 2011

Do It Yourself.

I took Casey to the airport this morning for his flight to Zurich where he will be working for the next two weeks. I knew this day was coming for a while so I've had time to prepare, not only for being without him but for having to figure out another way to get my progesterone shots.
My friend offered to help and even enlisted her husband, he gave her shots when she was pregnant. While it was kind of her to offer I thought it would be a tad strange and maybe even inconvenient for everyone.
I thought I could always get Venus or Sequel to do it. Sure it would mortify them just having to look at my butt and send them into complete shock having to jab a needle into me... but it was an idea!?
In the end I decided to do it on my own. Why not? I watched a few videos on youtube (some of them were quite freaky) and figured if they could do it, so could I. So this evening I got all my stuff ready and headed to the couch. I searched my leg a few times to make sure I was indeed aiming at a muscle and I thought about how I needed to do this is one swift motion. I thought about it some more... and a little more. Finally I SLOWLY pushed the needle into my thigh. Ouch! I pulled back to make sure there wasn't any blood and there wasn't but I thought it'd be best to check again. Still no blood. I began pressing down on the plunger and OH MY GOSH! the pain shot down my leg and up my thigh. I can't even begin to explain what it felt like. I got up to walk and the pain was more intense. I ended up putting a heating pad on it in hopes that the pain would subside. It hasn't. I sure hope I can walk tomorrow.
I'm starting to have second thoughts about doing this myself and wonder if traumatizing my kids would be a better idea? :)
Only 34 more days of shots to go... 

3 comments:

  1. Speaking as a nurse and someone who has self injected, it's totally feasible to do it yourself but be sure that you are injecting into the correct area, it sounds like you hit a nerve with the needle and that can range from being mildly painful to causing permanent nerve damage. If you are self injecting in your thigh, 1. Only pull back for blood once, and put the needle in quickly, 2. Make sure your
    muscle is relaxed, 3. Take a quick look at where the nerves run down the leg to see what area to aim for and avoid, and lastly, consider trying to self inject in your ass, if you feel comfortable twisting around.


    And be willing to take help! If you have friends willing to shoot you up, take them up on it! It didn't have to be every injection, but even if it's only a few, let them help :) if it wasn't a three hour drive I would be happy to do it for you haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a reminder that I'm close and here if you need anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Eva, I didn't even think about hitting a nerve. I even looked up illustrations to make sure I was hitting muscle. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to twist and do it in my bottom from this point on!

    Thanks for offering to help Sara!

    ReplyDelete