Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Who Made the Grade?

I set my alarm for 7am Sunday morning. I had to make sure I was up in time to insert the white horse pill two hours before my transfer. Once I did that I jumped in the shower so I could get ready for B and C's big day. I thought about what was about to take place and wondered why I didn't feel nervous at all. It seemed strange to me that I felt so calm about it.
B and C arrived at the hotel earlier than expected. I think they were both pretty excited to have finally reached this point. The 2 minute car ride consisted of us chatting up a storm and laughing. Once we arrived and checked in we sat in the waiting room talking about everything from the weather to birthday parties to the procedure. 

When the nurse called me back she gave me the normal instructions... undress from the waist down and cover up with the sheet. I did just as she instructed. In the meantime she went to get B and C so they could speak with the doctor about the embryos, It was the first time they were hearing about how much they had progressed. 
It felt like I sat on that table/bed forever. It was really only about 10 minutes. I noticed how dark and cold it seemed. There were not relaxing pictures on the wall or decorations outside of a calender that had some random saying about friends that I can't seem to remember. I noticed the counter on the wall and realized that the last person in there had 10 eggs retrieved.  I could see that a lot of the machine parts were made by Burton and wondered if it was the same Burton that made snowboards? In front of me was one of those doors that were cut in half where only the top portion would open. Through the crack I could see lights and people moving around but I really couldn't make out what they were doing. And for a moment I thought to myself that this was my last chance to run away.

When the doctor came in he (yes HE. Dr C wasn't there!! Woot!) showed me a graph with numbers and letters written on it. He explained that out of all the embryos only 2 of them graded "okay". He went on to explain that while they were not perfect, they were very close and suggested that we transfer both. He took the time to show me pictures of them (which were pretty cool) and went over the grading process. It was something along the lines of two grades, one for big they were and one for how far into the cycle they were. The two embryos he had were A,B and B,B. Sounded good to me! I did notice while he was talking that the other embryos were all graded F's and G's. I couldn't help but feel a little sad for B. I hope they they continue to develop so that she has some to put back and freeze.
The doctor stepped out for a moment to give me time to talk things over with B and C. We all agreed that we would transfer both embryos!!

The rest of the process was all about feeling vs seeing. In the beginning I could see into the "secret" room and noticed an incubator that you would see and infant in NICU in. Inside were tiny petri dishes. How cool!
I turned my attention to the monitor as the doctor did whatever it was he was doing down there. I remember feeling a gush of warm liquid which he later explained as cleaning everything in there off. When we was ready for the transfer he used a very long skinny catheter to insert the embryos into my uterus. I have to tell you that watching it happen was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It looked like two tiny white bubbles being shot inside me. I sat there and watched them slowly float up and rest on the walls of my uterus and I was in awe. We waited for a minute for the guys behind the secret door to confirm the catheter was empty and we were done. I had to remain lying down for 10 minutes then I was free to go.
I watched to second hands move on the clock and got up at 9:45. I got dressed, ran to the bathroom, and met B and C in the waiting room where B greeted me with a hug.
I left with 3 forms in my hand and instructions to continue both estrogen's and the progesterone shots. I have two appointments for blood work, one of July 6 to check my progesterone, estradiol, and hCG levels, and one on July 8 to check progesterone and hCG again. I was also told that I can take a HPT but not until July 4.

So I'm currently 2 days post a 5 day transfer with only 6 days left to test and I'm dying waiting! :) I imagine B is too! I don't feel any additional side effects outside of the ones I feel from the pills/shots but I'm hoping and praying that I get a BFP on July 4th!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment