Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm seeing RED...

Getting to North Carolina wasn't an easy task. First, Joelie had dance class on Tuesday and there was no way I was going to miss that! So, plans were made to leave directly from class to the airport. With traffic, the GPS taking us the wrong direction, and a little over one hour to make it, we were lucky for me to get there in plenty of time to make it through security. 

As I rushed to my gate I noticed on the monitors that my flight was delayed. So I sat out in search of some healthy food (not an easy task) and a place to charge my phone (also not an easy task). After chowing down a veggie wrap I found a charging station at my gate. As soon as I sat down our flight was delayed again... and again. Luckily the people around me were good company and helped pass the time. 

I don't even remember what time we actually boarded the plane. As I was getting seated I noticed a lady with a young son looking for her seat. I was pretty sure she was sitting beside me and tried to help her. I quickly noticed she didn't speak English and that she had a letter tied to her neck (I could only make out that she flew in on Lufthansa). I checked her tickets and could see that her son was sitting next to me and she was across the isle. I checked with the pilot and made sure that it was okay for me to move to her seat so that she could sit with her son.
I ended up next to an older gentleman from Pennsylvania. He told me about moving from Paris to New York 30 years ago. We also talked about his recent visit to Austin and how strange the roads were (haha, I have been saying that exact thing about the roads in New Jersey). He asked me why do all of those people gather under the bridges when it get dark? Bats! He was shocked! All of this happened while we sat, waiting... on the runway.

We finally landed in North Carolina ten minutes before midnight. 
I got settled in my hotel room and set everything up for the following day. I made sure all my medications, food, and water were in reach from my bed.
Once again E left me a bag with snacks, fruit, water, and a very sweet letter. 

Early the next morning the fertility clinic called to move our appointment, for the third time. They also called E to let her know that 2 of the 3 embryos didn't make it and they were going to thaw 2 more.
We toured the city and Duke University before heading to the clinic. Once we got there we were taken back pretty quickly.
I changed into my gown and E changed into her scrubs. We met with the doctor who went over the transfer and the embryos. We ended up with two 10 cell and one 3 cell. This time our color was red.
It's strange how the same procedure can be so different with a different doctor. This time around I could feel a lot more. It was really uncomfortable and actually hurt a little bit.
We had asked the clinic about allowing us to stay in the room with me on the table at an angle for a few minutes after the procedure. They agreed, but one doctor sent E an email saying that recent medical articles showed that it didn't really help. Oh well. It wouldn't hurt.
E said a friend told her that laughing afterwards would also help. Thankfully our conversations were pretty funny! After 20 minutes of sharing laughs we got up. I emptied my very full bladder (gosh that hurts) and changed back into my clothes. We got our discharge papers and headed back to the hotel.

Once there, I grabbed a pillow and plopped down on top of it lifting my butt into the air. I stayed that way while I ate my pineapple (another one of those things we read about that might help). I stayed in bed for five hours before I got up. E brought over some dinner (she makes a great avocado salad) and kept me company for a few minutes. After she left it was back to bed.
I go home Friday afternoon and have to wait until July 24th for our first test. I have high hopes that all the "tricks" paid off and that at least one of these three little embryos are going to stick!! GO RED GO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment